Search skills training
New dates for Finding the Evidence in 2012 are now available, along with refresher courses. If you are unsure whether Finding the Evidence is the right course for you, please read the further information.
Finding the Evidence
This is a full day course (9.30am-3.30pm) which is dedicated to helping you develop your evidence-finding and search skills.
- Thursday, 13th September 2012 - Shrewsbury Health Library
- Wednesday, 14th November 2012 - Shrewsbury Health Library
The course includes four modules:
- Searching clinical databases
- E-journals and E-books
- Health information on the internet
- NHS Evidence and The Cochrane Library
Finding the Evidence Refresher
This is a half-day course (2pm-5pm) designed to update your evidence-finding and search skills.
- Tuesday, 9th October 2012 - Telford Health Library
- Tuesday, 4th December 2012 - Telford Health Library
The half day course includes two modules:
- Advanced Clinical Database Search Skills
- Update on Health Information on the Internet
All of the Finding the Evidence modules meet KSF dimensions and count towards your PDP. Have a look at the Finding the Evidence KSF dimensions or please contact us for further information on this.
Please book via your web booking form BOOK NOW
Staff from other organisations, such as GP practice staff, should book via the web booking form or download a booking form and return to firstname.lastname@example.org
For any queries regarding booking, contact the Learning and Development Department on 01743 276688.
To arrange a one-to-one session, or a ‘private’ group session, please contact the Library and Knowledge Services by e-mail at email@example.com or telephone 01743 492511 or 01743 277598 or internal ext. 2017.
What do the training courses cover?
Our training courses look at different aspects of how to find health information online from trustworthy sources. Each course contains one or more modules such as:
- Planning and carrying out a database search for research-type information
- Finding the full text of journal articles online
- How to use the NHS Evidence search engine
- What the Cochrane Library is and when to use it
- Health information sources such as the National Library for Health and other quality-checked sites
- Finding and evaluating patient information
- Using e-mail alerts and newsfeeds
Group and individual training
We offer a programme of group courses (usually with a maximum of eight people) that any member of SCH/PCT or related staff can book a place on.
We can also arrange one-to-one sessions or private courses for small groups, tailored to your particular training needs. For more information contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The timetabled courses are held either in Shrewsbury Health Library, Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, or in the Education Centre at the Princess Royal Hospital in Telford.
Individual or privately arranged group sessions can be held in these venues, or at other sites such as your own workbase (providing suitable computer facilities are available).
All the courses are free.
Evaluating the Impact of Training
We would like to assess the impact of training courses on attendees evidence searching skills. If you have attended one of our training courses, please complete the online Training Impact Assessment Survey here.