The benefits of an ATHENS password
Are you wondering why you need an Athens password? An NHS Athens password gives you access to thousands of full text journals, clinical databases, e-books, the Map of Medicine, and many more resources. It is also easy to register using an NHS computer.
Registering for ATHENS
To register for ATHENS, just follow these simple steps:
- Go to the ATHENS registration page
- Select your NHS Trust/PCT/Community Health Trust (general practice staff, please select your local PCT/Community Health Trust)
- Fill in your personal details
- Please note that you must provide a work, professional or academic email address or your registration will not be processed
- Click 'Submit'
- You will then be sent an email to activate your account. To activate your ATHENS account you will need to click on the link provided in the email.
- If you do not activate your ATHENS account this link will expire, if this happens please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and we will reactive the link.
- Once you have activated your account, you will be able to log in using your ATHENS username and password.
Please note that it is quicker to register from an NHS computer and you must register using an NHS e-mail address or a professional, work or academic email address. If you have any problems registering for Athens, please email email@example.com
Forgotten your ATHENS password?
If you have forgotten your ATHENS password but know your username, please follow these instructions to reset your password:
- Click on the password reset link
- Enter your Athens username and the email address you used to set up your Athens account
- Click submit
- You will then be sent an email with a link to reset your password
If you have forgotten both your Athens username and password, please contact the Shropshire Community Health Trust Library and Knowledge Services at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will provide you with your username and reset your password.
Expired ATHENS accounts
ATHENS accounts are automatically set to expire after 2 years (this may be less if you are on a fixed term or temporary contract and provide your contract end date). If you receive an email saying your account has expired, or is about to expire and you still wish to continue with your ATHENS account, please follow the instructions in the email to extend your account.
If you have any problems with this please email email@example.com
Once you have your ATHENS username and password, you can access a wide range of resources including:
For more information on what resources you can access or how to search for information using your ATHENS password please look at our training page for details of our training courses and how to book a training session.